Employment rights in the UK can depend on the legal status of the person doing the work.
People can be employees, who work under a contract of service with an employer.
They can also be workers, which include employees and also other people who carry out work for another party, but not genuine self-employed contractors.
Rights for Workers
Employment rights which apply to all “workers” include:
- A written statement of employment terms
- An itemised pay statement
- Protection from unlawful deductions from their pay
- To be paid the National Minimum Wage
- Entitlement to paid holidays and certain limits on working hours and breaks
- Part time worker rights
- Auto-enrolment in a workplace pension
- Protection from discrimination at work under the Equality Act 2010
- The right to be accompanied to certain disciplinary and grievance meetings
Rights For Employees
Employment rights which apply to employees include all the above, and:
- Statutory sick pay
- Minimum notice period
- Paid time off for ante natal care
- Maternity leave and pay (pay subject to qualifying conditions)
- Adoption leave and pay (pay subject to qualifying conditions)
- Paternity leave and pay (pay subject to qualifying conditions)
- Shared parental leave and pay (pay subject to qualifying conditions)
- Parental bereavement leave and pay (pay subject to qualifying conditions)
- Parental leave
- Right to make a flexible working request
- Time off for emergencies involving dependants
- Right to claim unfair dismissal (after two years of continuous employment)
- Statutory redundancy pay (after two years of continuous employment)
- A written statement of reasons for dismissal (after two years of continuous employment)
- TUPE transfer protection
- Guarantee payments
- Fixed term employees protection
Bishopsgate Law employment lawyers provide independent legal advice about employment settlement agreements, and represent employees and employers at Employment Tribunals.
Lawrite supports small business employers in the UK. You can buy annual subscriptions to Lawrite services at the Lawrite Lawshop. The Lawrite Documents package includes templates for employment law, HR, and health and safety document templates, law guides and updates. The Employer Support Service also includes access to the Lawrite Legal Advice Line for help from employment lawyers.